Visual Verse is a unique publication offering writers a specific creative challenge: write 50-500 words, in one hour, in response to an image prompt. Please take the time to read these submission guidelines before you submit your work.
Your work must be:
– Written specifically in response to our image. We do not accept submissions of previously written work or manuscripts. This is an ekphrastic writing publication so your challenge is to formulate a response to our featured image.
– Between 50-500 words, written within one hour (time yourself, we trust you).
Our Publishing Cycle
We release a new image on the 1st of each calendar month and accept submissions up until the 15th of the month. We will publish up to 100 writers over the course of the month. We are looking for quality writing, new ideas, innovative and challenging approaches.
Anyone, anywhere in the world, is welcome to submit to Visual Verse.
We will not publish pieces that:
– are offensive or defamatory in language or sentiment.
– promote any form of abuse or predatory behaviour.
– contain victim-blaming or disturbing/graphic violence, particularly directed towards an individual
– promote anorexia via fat-shaming or sensory deprivation.
– could be considered to take the ‘male gaze’ towards women.
– contain swearing or violence which is out of context.
– have not been edited. We are not looking for polished pieces – the one hour limitation does not allow for this – but we do expect you to ensure they are the best they can be before submission.
– Use unnecessary ableist language. Please educate yourself about ableist language and avoid the use of offensive terms and descriptions where possible.
After you submit
Please only submit one piece per month, but in the event of multiple submissions only the first piece will be considered.
Since we currently receive between 150-200 submissions per month, it is not possible to contact individuals or offer feedback on individual pieces.
If your work is selected for publication, it will appear on the site during the month.